The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

How Full is Your Bucket?


I was thinking about other ways that I could be using this blog, and I decided that I could use it as a space to showcase some of my work and ways in which I utilize childrens literature in my teaching.  I had a chance during my student teaching to create a bulletin board using the book of the month,

How Full Is Your Bucket? For Kids by Tom Rath and Mary Reckmeyer

How Full Is Your Bucket? is a book that explains that we all have invisible buckets of water over our heads and the negative actions of others toward us can empty the buckets.  It also explains how our own actions can also influence how full our buckets are, positive actions add to our buckets while negative actions take away from them.  The author uses images to make the story funny for children but it also carries an extremely strong message to the readers.  


During my student teaching, I was given the chance to create a bulletin board for the book of the month.  Working together with the writing class's student teacher, the children wrote about a time that they positively filled up someone's bucket or when someone filled up their bucket.  The students were given paper in the shape of a water drop that the shared their stories on.  I created a bucket and display for the board and we surrounded the class bucket with our stories of positive actions.  The board came out great so I thought I would share it with all of you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment