The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Post # 2 Picture Books... here we go!

This week's pick for one of my favorite PICTURE BOOKS is .   .   .
   
The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle
and this is it's beautiful and colorful cover...
  
Now doesn't that cover just catch your eye?  Definitely caught mine!

Title: The Grouchy Ladybug
Author: Eric Carle 
ISBN 0-06-443450-8

Eric Carle is an author who is mainly known for his story The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and if you have ever seen his work, you can tell just by looking at the illustrations that he has geared his books to young readers and listeners.  The artwork and illustrations in his books are beautiful and colorful.  The illustrations are collages that appeal to young children, and even adults sometimes.    :-)

This weeks pick for the blog had to be based on a picture book, so I chose a book that had pictures that supported the text and vice-versa.  The pictures are vivid and bright, you can see brushstrokes throughout each of them, its artwork that children could probably relate to in a manner that it looks unpolished but perfect for the story.

The story of The Grouchy Ladybug is about a ladybug that thinks it is bigger and better than anyone else.  The Grouchy Ladybug travels throughout the entire day trying to pick a fight with everyone that it encounters.  The story is humorous and also teaches children a few different lessons.  The story teaches about manners, or lack of manners, each page has a clock depicting the time of day the ladybug is experiencing these interactions, and of course shapes and sizes.  The pages are die-cut, making it extremely fun to read and interactive.  In my opinion... GREAT PICTURE BOOK!

2 comments:

  1. This book looks like an engaging book for young children. The colorful pictures, humor, and lessons in the book give teachers several possible ideas for great lesson plans. I think children of all ages will be able to relate to the lessons this book teaches. This is a reason I feel it's a great picture book. Younger and older children will be able to enjoy this book. After reading you blog about this book I think I'm going to use it for my preschool class. Reading about all the lessons it teaches and artwork I feel I can use this book for several lessons. Thanks for the good pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this book! Definitely a great choice for a picture book! I love how you related the book to what we learned in class and the examples you give of lessons that it can teach young children would be great for my pre-school children. The bright pictures would definitely draw in any child and the fact that adults love it too makes it easy to use in the classroom as a gateway for lessons. I had completely forgotten about this book until I read your blog and I'm really glad I got the chance to think back on my childhood experience!

    ReplyDelete